Wit's Haiku In School Project.
Bringing The Benefits Of Haiku To Students.
Wit’s Haiku in School Project is a guideline to help schools teach students to incorporate the elements of Haiku and Senryu into their writings and to enhance the students’ observational skills.
These steps are examples of what a school might do. They may be modified to suit the school’s particular needs.
Haiku is easy to learn and master even for an inexperienced writer. Haiku is a compressed form of expression that uses only seventeen syllables. Because the writer is required in using only seventeen syllables to capture and convey the special essence of a moment, the writer must be concise when writing. The practice of this concentrated form of expression can help students achieve brevity in their other writings (such as essays) without sacrificing complexity.
For grades: 1-12+
The supplies needed.
A small notebook for each student small enough to reside in a pocket or purse for easy access when the special moment occurs. A pencil can be rubber banded to the notebook.
- Instruct a small group of students on how to write Haiku.
- Have students write two Haiku per week to one Haiku per day for two weeks to four weeks.
- Have the students turn in Haiku on a separate piece of paper for review by teacher.
Benefits: enhanced observational skills. Incremental achievement (small steps leading to a large goal)
- Once the instructor feels confident the small group of students understand the process of writing Haiku, the students (mentors) will be assigned to teach their own small group following steps 1-3.
- A lecture on how to teach and offer encouragement to the mentors may be warranted.
- The mentor students will continue to write their own one Haiku per day.
- Continue this process until all students are taught.
Benefits: how to teach, patience, and mastery at something.
- After all students can successfully write Haiku, each student will read one of their Haiku aloud in class every morning.
Benefit: public speaking, faith in writing.
- As a side assignment, (after one month of Haiku writing) assign students to re-write an old essay using the newly mastered elements inherent to writing Haiku. Remove any minimum word requirements from essay.
Benefits: Paragraphs will become sentences.
Sentences will become words.
Words will become a Universe.
- One or more student(s) from each class will be chosen to be the class Haiku proofreader(s).
- Each student will choose their favorite Haiku from their journals and submit it to the class Haiku proofreader(s).
- Once the Haiku have been compiled and checked by the proofreader(s), the proofreader(s) will turn the class Haiku into the teacher for further proofreading.
Benefits: Student will learn to let go of their art, proofreading, time management, organizational, and project management skills.
- The teacher of each class will submit the compiled Haiku to the school’s Haiku book project committee. The committee will be comprised of students and teachers.
- The committee will confirm that every student has turned in a Haiku.
- The committee will layout and edit the Haiku into pages for book printing.
- The committee can decide to add drawings and photos from students that may capture the essence of the Haiku for added style.
Benefits: Students will learn how to layout pages for book printing.
- If school has printing and binding capability, print and bind books. If school does not have printing and binding capability send out request for quote from book printers.
Benefits: Learn the printing and binding processes. Learn the request for quote process.
- Sell book to family, friends and the community as a fundraiser.
Benefits: Marketing, market analysis, wholesale retail sales and distribution.
Enjoy Every Moment.
Have a Great Life,
|Subscribe to Secrets to the Universe
** Note: Make sure your Spam filter accepts E-mails from email@example.com
Subscribe to Wit's E-Mails
See the "Secrets to the Universe" Promos titled
See them all at "Secrets to the Universe" by Wit Promos.
Or see Secrets to the Universe" by Wit Promos Videos on YouTube
and here Secrets to the Universe" by Wit Promos Videos on YouTube
Get your copy of, "Secrets to the Universe" by Wit here